A couple things I learned to make this phase a little easier:
- You will need a good digital scale that measures in ounces. Accurate measurement can make the difference between frustration and success.
- No anti-stick cooking sprays allowed on this diet. The best way to keep your food from sticking is to de-glaze your pans with a bit of water while cooking. It also keeps the meat tender and moist, and with steak, it makes a yummy gravy like sauce too!
- Invest in spices, but check the contents. Some spices also contain sugar which is a no-no. Vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, ginger, onion powder, basil, oregano, and many others work great!
- There is a line of products called Walden Farms which is allowed on this diet. They contain no calories, no carbohydrates, no sugar, no gluten, but they are pretty tasty and a little goes a long way. I really like the BBQ sauce, the Raspberry Vinaigrette, and the Asian dressing. They also have jams, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, marshmallow cream, and peanut butter. I have a link to the Walden Farms website in the sidebar or you can click here. Many health food stores also carry this line. Harmon's food stores also carry a fairly complete line of Walden Farms products.
- I found several good recipe websites which I have also posted in the sidebar. Be sure that the recipes are for the phase you are in though. Some of the sites I found did not differentiate between Phase 2 and Phase 3 recipes, but you can tell by the ingredient list. If it includes items that are not allowed in Phase 2, don't try it or save it for later. I will also be posting my favorite recipes.
- Grissini bread sticks and Melba Toast are optional as snacks or for use in recipes. I never enjoyed them as snacks but you can crumble them up to make coatings for chicken or to add some crunch to a salad.
If you have any great ideas, or tips on making the diet easier, please leave a comment. Remember, phase 2 is when your brain is relearning how to process fat in your body. You are making changes now that will ensure your future success! Be strong and stick to it!