Pages

Friday, August 28, 2009

Phase Two of the HCG Diet

Phase Two is the Very Low Calorie Diet phase, also referred to as VLCD.  During the VLCD phase, you are limited in the foods you can eat.  I thought this would be super hard, but I was surprised to find that it was only moderately hard.  In fact, I really liked the structured lack of choices.  I knew what I was going to eat every day and exactly how much....so no menu planning, or going back for seconds, or coping with the guilt of making the alfredo sauce with heavy cream instead of half and half.

The basic daily diet is as follows:

No Breakfast.
Although, you can drink Crystal Light, or coffee/tea (2 T. of milk as creamer), or 2 cans of diet soda throughout the day.  I usually drink Crystal Light first thing, followed by 16 oz. of water.

9am- Snack--Fruit options are: 1 apple, 1 orange, 6 Strawberries, or 1/2 grapefruit.
To me, apples are the most filling and I stuck with them for the most part.

12noon- Lunch--3.5 oz (100 grams) of protein, 3.5 oz (100 grams) of vegetable.
Meat options include: lean steak, chicken breast, white fish such as tilapia, cod, haddock, halibut, also shrimp, lobster, crab.
Veggie options include: cabbage, celery, onions, tomato, lettuce, broccolli, cauliflower, asparagus, spinach.
Only one kind of veggie at a time--no mixed vegetables.

3pm-Snack --Same as morning snack.

6pm-Dinner--Same as Lunch.

This can get kind of boring, I will admit.  In my next post, I will share some of the tricks I've learned for spicing things up a bit! The key to phase 2 is to STICK TO THE DIET!  There is nothing magical about the shots that help you to resist temptation, so it is up to you to stay strong.  The first 3 weeks are the most critical because this is the time that your brain is being reprogrammed to use the fat in your body for energy.  After the first 3 weeks, a mistake won't be quite as costly but it will set your weight loss back a few days.  This phase only lasts 40 days--you can do it!

No comments: